South Uist Historical Society was founded in 1989. Their accredited museum at Kildonan hosts permanent displays relating to the social, domestic and cultural history of the island.
April-October, Mon-Sun 10am-5pmWebsite of Kildonan Museum
South Uist Historical Society (Comunn Eachdraidh Uibhist a Deas) was formed in 1989. Their accredited museum at Kildonan, which is run in partnership with Urras Eachdraidh Uibhist a Deas (South Uist Historical Trust), hosts permanent displays relating to the social, domestic and cultural history of the island, much of which is based around items collected by the late Canon John Morrison of Iochdar.
The museum also has significant loans from other collections on display including:
- ‘Prince on the Run’ Jacobite exhibition telling the story of local heroine Flora MacDonald which includes loan items from National Museums Scotland;
- Items relating to notable local folklorist Fr. Allan MacDonald from the National Trust for Scotland’s Canna House;
- Rare Pictish skeleton found near Kildonan, on loan from Treasure Trove Scotland;
- ‘Aileach’ – a replica Viking ship, which is displayed in the grounds.
- The Clan Ranald stone, thought to have been carved to commemorate John of Moidart, chieftain of Clan Ranald in the late 1500s
- Loom used to weave cloth for Lady Eisenhower (First Lady of the United States from 1953 to 1961)
- Celtic handfasting marriage stone
- Rare mid-19th century French ‘snail’ inkwell and quill holder
- Margaret Fay Shaw photograph collection, to whom the archive room is dedicated
- Bill Innes photograph collection
- Dr Robertson photograph and paintings collection